7.23.2008

Crabs

Things get so busy I forget where I am and the things that interest me. Things like house "chores" and going to work tend to kill outside ideas for fun. But I've got one. Boy, do I have one I'm committing to. I'm going crabbing!
Here I am in South Lousiana and all I see is city. I'm getting out, even if for a day. I'm heading further south to the coast, which has spent a lot of time on my mind as of late. I'm taking a few cheap drop nets, some chicken necks, two ice chests (one for beer, one for crabs) and maybe a little company to Grand Isle. I'll find me a little place to drop off and try to fill one cooler while I empty the other. This is a great idea. Best idea ever!
I've thought myself into a tizzy lately because of Lousiana. I've grown to love this state and what it offers. But there are some things we've just done wrong. Why is it that all the coastal states from Texas to Florida have beaches to promote. "Come to our sandy beaches and enjoy the waves," and people come from all over. Florida gets beat to hell every hurricane season, but rebuilds. Texas has South Padre Island that can't hold enough people on spring break. Even Mississippi gets in on the action with Biloxi and Bay St. Louis. Lousiana beaches get tossed to the side as polluted and dirty. Well, let's clean them up. Let's give the folks from this state a place to go instead of taking their flip flops and swim trunks elsewhere. What a waste of resources not to develop your beaches because not everyone has them. Build a boardwalk. Build a few nice resorts. If you can get Oliver Stone to shoot a movie in the bayou state, you can convince a few yanks to come for a weekend.
So for right now, it's about catching crabs. I don't like to eat the critters, but I know a bunch of coon-asses who do. I even know one who will probably know how to boil them up. This is gonna happen, I promise.

No comments: