10.28.2007

Say Something

There's a band I've been listening to a lot the last year. Lucero. I could describe their style, but that's not what keeps me playing track 5. It's the simple lyrics. At least, they're simple to me. Drinking with friends or worrying about what a grandfather thinks of you 15 years after he died.

"Said I just wanted to make my grandfather proud, Yeah I know he's not around. Been gone since I was 13, I'm still worried what he'd think about me."

Ever wonder what that person who ain't around anymore would say if they met you today? I'm afraid mine would just whoop my ass because I deserve it. We're a different generation and I'm feeling it these days. I don't remember him worried about things which weren't in his control. I don't remember him being so busy he didn't have time for a kind word or asking someone how they're doing and giving a shit about the reply. I guess that comes with a world full of distractions. Let's worry about which politician has his hand in your pocket and which mega corporation has their hand in his. Let's watch the icebergs melt and change a light bulb or two. Or for God's sake, take those poor kids from Britney. Once in a while, I have to sit back with a beer in the back yard clad in boxer shorts and a t-shirt and remind myself I'll never get out of this world alive anyway.

I say that because I've been reminiscent lately. About those times in college when I worked, went to class and let it all go after a few beers. For a few hours a night, I could bullshit with friends, tell some jokes and wake up well enough to do it again. I've never missed anything before and managed to move on through this life looking ahead. But I miss those friends. Sometimes I miss those who I can't even call by that name anymore. And I damn sure miss that bar. Good ol' days indeed. But it's still around and so are some of the acquaintances I made then. Might be time again for a solo trip back home.

1 comment:

missamanda said...

We miss you... And I am having a hard time with TIME right now. Your GodDaughter is Screaming every night because she isn't getting enough mommy time during the day. With working and the house and now another baby... Jezzzzzz... We really want to come down and see the new house. I am hoping that we make it soon.